Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

I wish I could come home for CNY

Posted: February 2, 2011 in Uncategorized
Advertisements

Source: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/macc-must-take-responsibility-for-beng-hocks-death-says-family/

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 27 — The family of Teoh Beng Hock said today that they wanted anti-graft officers to take responsibility for his death, and demanded the prime minister increase the size of a royal panel formed yesterday to include members they have proposed.

In a statement today, Beng Hock’s sister Lee Lan insisted that as her brother died in the custody of the MACC, “personnel within the government agency should take responsibility for his death.”

Lee Lan (picture) said that her family was “puzzled” why none of the names they proposed were appointed to the royal commission of inquiry (RCI) announced by Datuk Seri Najib Razak yesterday.

“It is regrettable that the prime minister did not consult us nor accept the proposals made jointly by 126 NGOs before he announced the names of the commissioners,” she said in a statement on behalf of the family

Among the nominees proposed were former national police chief Tun Hanif Omar, former Bar Council president Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan, former Court of Appeal judge NH Chan and former Deputy Prime minister Tun Musa Hitam.

Lee Lan said that while her family was comforted by the RCI probe into Beng Hock’s death, they urged the prime minister to now increase the panel to nine members to include these candidates.

Beng Hock, the political secretary to Selangor state executive councillor Ean Yong Hian Wah, was found dead outside the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) office in Plaza Masalam, Shah Alam on July 16, 2009, after being interrogated overnight by its officials.

Najib had announced the RCI on January 7 to look into MACC’s investigative methods and the Attorney-General has applied to revise coroner Azmil Muntapha Abas’s verdict, which ruled out both suicide and homicide in Beng Hock’s death.

He had then said the RCI would have “specific” terms of reference and would not be expanded to include a probe into how the 30-year-old DAP political aide had plunged to his death.

This, said Najib, was because the law stipulated that investigations into a person’s cause of death should be carried out through the coroner’s office.

The family also expressed its hope today that after the three-month investigation by the RCI, it will provide “a clear and satisfactory answer” as opposed to what they called 18 months of “futile inquest proceedings” in the coroner’s court which delivered the “open verdict” that Lee Lan has previously called “meaningless.”

“The royal commission must carry out in-depth investigations, for example, investigating what actually caused the neck injury on Beng Hock and the many contradictory testimonies of MACC officers,” Lee Lan said.

A song for Teoh Beng Hock

Posted: January 20, 2011 in Uncategorized

A Nice song dedicated for Beng Hock, by a concerned citizen. 一位热心朋友写的歌,献给明福

Source: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/bahasa/article/permohonan-semakan-keputusan-inkues-teoh-didengar-31-jan/

January 19, 2011

KUALA LUMPUR, 19 Jan — Mahkamah Tinggi Shah Alam akan mendengar permohonan semakan terhadap keputusan terbuka inkues Teoh Beng Hock pada 31 Januari ini.

Peguam Gobind Singh Deo yang mewakili keluarga Teoh memaklumkan perkembangan itu menerusi mesej Twitter kira-kira 9.30 pagi tadi.

Hakim Datuk Mohtaruddin Baki telah dilantik untuk mendengar permohonan itu, jelas Gobind kepada The Malaysian Insider menerusi mesej SMS kemudian.

Teoh Lee Lan, adik perempuan mendiang pula kelihatan terkejut dengan perkembangan tersebut.

“Ini kali pertama saya mendengar mengenai perkara ini,” kata beliau kepada The Malaysian Insider ketika dihubungi.

Katanya, dia akan menghubungi Gobind sebelum mengulas lanjut mengenainya.

Pada 7 Januari lalu, Peguam Negara Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail telah memfailkan permohonan kepada Mahkamah Tinggi bagi semakan terhadap keputusan terbuka oleh Mahkamah Koroner dalam inkues kematian bekas setiausaha politik itu, yang diumumkan dua hari sebelum itu.

Koroner Azmil Muntapha Abas memutuskan kematian Teoh pada 2009 bukan disebabkan bunuh diri ataupun homisid.

Keluarga Teoh juga dilaporkan akan membuat permohonan semakan, tetapi pada masa yang sama banyak pihak meminta satu suruhanjaya diraja siasatan bagi mencari punca Teoh didapati mati di Plaza Masalam, Shah Alam ketika berada dalam siasatan Suruhanjaya Pencegahan Rasuah Malaysia.

Source: http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/189656?tid=1

(吉隆坡10日訊)暴斃扣留犯克里斯南的家人不相信他死於胃潰瘍,要求警方允許進行第二度解剖,以查清其真正的死因。

克里斯南(37歲)的母親、妻兒及約50名親友包下一輛巴士,並在公正黨副主席蘇仁登的陪同下於今午到武吉阿曼警察總部呈交備忘錄。

加埔國會議員馬尼卡瓦沙甘、梳邦國會議員西華拉沙及捍衛自由律師組織法蒂雅也到場聲援克里斯南的家人。

克里斯南的親友手舉布條橫幅,聚集在武吉阿曼對面停車場上,高喊口號“我們要求正義”,要求警方馬上回應他們的訴求。

驚動拉扎里出面交涉

他們的訴求經由武吉阿曼公關組轉達予刑事組後,驚動武吉阿曼檢控組主任拉扎里高級助理總監出來與他們交涉。

拉扎里在瞭解了他們的訴求後,答應會將他們所呈交的備忘錄轉達全國總警長辦公室研究案情,但沒有給予一個明確的答复日期。

克里斯南的家人對於警方的回應感到非常不滿意,其代表律師蘇仁登指出,家人明確要求警方允許進行第二次解剖,以查明其真正的死因。

“一旦得到警方的允准,我們會安排一個能夠信任的法醫進行二度解剖。”

蘇仁登披露,克里斯南的遺體發現多處集中在背部的瘀傷,而且眼睛也有黑眼圈,他們有理由相信他生前遭到警方襲擊,而且也有目擊證人證明這一點。

他說,家人希望警方能公正及透明的徹查此案,並將涉及此案的警員移交法辦。

警方回應:二度解剖非警方權限

武吉阿曼澄清,克里斯南家人不應該要求警方允許對克里斯南的遺體進行二度解剖,因為這並不在警方的權限之內。

武吉阿曼檢控組主任拉扎里通過警方面子書解釋,死者家人只要得到法庭的庭令後,隨時可以安排對克里斯南的遺體進行二度解剖,不過解剖的費用必須由家屬自行承擔。

拉扎里澄清,警方從不曾阻止家屬對死者遺體進行二度解剖。

星洲日報‧2011.01.10

Source: http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/2011/01/08/death-in-custody-my-husband-was-tortured/

The police suffered another blow to their image with the death of an inmate in police custody.

KUALA LUMPUR: A wire-man was found dead at the Bukit Jalil police lock-up here yesterday morning in yet another death in custody case.

M Krishnan, 37, was found dead in the lock-up and his wife, P Revathi, 37, claimed he was tortured to death.

She lodged a report at the Sentul district police headquarters at 2pm today, demanding a second post-mortem be conducted. She was accompanied by N Surendran, the family’s lawyer.

Surendran is also a human rights member of the NGO Lawyers for Liberty, and PKR vice-president.

Also with them was Kapar MP S Manikavasagam.

According to police, the initial post-mortem results showed the death was related to ulcer, but Krishnan’s family disputed it, claiming there were bruises on the body.

Police have classified the case as sudden death.

“There were bruises all over his back, an open cut wound on his right abdomen, and a bruise on his right eye. I believe he was tortured till he died,” Revathi said in her report.

Revathi said Krishnan was in good health. “How could he die all of a sudden?” she asked.

“I hold the Inspector-General of Police (Ismail Omar) and the government responsible for his death,” said Revathi, who also urged that investigations be taken over by Bukit Aman federal police headquarters.

She said that police did not inform her about his demise, but an inmate, Sargunan, who was with Krishnan at that time, told her about it when she went to the mortuary at UKM Medical Centre in Cheras here.

Sargunan, who was released yesterday, also alleged that he saw Krishnan being stepped on by policemen.

Said Manikavasagam: “Sargunan told me that police had ignored Krishnan when he complained of stomach aches. When he tried to wake Krishnan up yesterday morning in the cell for breakfast, the latter just collapsed.”

Fundamental right

Surendran said he would get Sargunan to lodge a police report on what he saw.

“Despite all the marks, the hospital is saying it is ulcer. We must have a second post-mortem as it is a fundamental right of the family,” he told FMT, adding that he was disappointed with the hospital authorities for stopping the family from viewing the body.

“This is just like A Kugan’s case. We’ve had so many cases where the hospital is working with the police to cover up.

“Don’t force the family to go to court,” said Surendran.

(Kugan, 23, a suspected car thief, died in police custody on Jan 16 last year. A policeman was charged with causing grievous hurt to Kugan at the interrogation room at the Taipan police station in USJ, Subang Jaya.

The policeman, Kons V Navindran, will know on Jan 28 whether he would be required to defend himself in the case.)

Surendran said peaceful assemblies will be held till Krishnan’s case is resolved.

“We will be gathering at Bukit Aman at 1pm on Monday to hand over a memorandum to the IGP,” Manikavasagam said, adding that he saw Krishnan’s wounds and was convinced it was not a natural death.

“Last week there was K Sivam, 43, who also died at the Sentul police lock-up. It seems that deaths in police custody are happening every week, every month. The Indian community is unhappy,” he said.

Meanwhile, Cheras district police chief ACP Mohan Singh said only his superiors can decide if there is a need for a second post-mortem.

He said Krishnan was arrested in Taman Miharja on Jan 3 and remanded for four days for drug possession.

“He died yesterday morning. Earlier, he was brought to the hospital for treatment of his stomach pains,” he said, adding that the case was classified as sudden death.