Source : Malaysia Chronicle
Monday, August 9, 2010
Wong Choon Mei, Malaysia Chronicle
UPDATED Speculation is rife that new documents the Attorney-General plans to introduce into the Teng Beng Hock inquest involves a suicide note, prompting a rash of conspiracy theories that he had been forced by his interrogators to sign one before his death.
But despite bizarre nature of the development, if true, it would not only shock Malaysians but shake the defense completely off balance.
“I do not dare imagine what other sorts of torture he went through. Let us work towards a Malaysia that is free from torture. No one should be tortured and killed, be it in the MACC office, police lock-up, jail or detention camp,” his sobbing sister Lee Lan told reporters.
She was speaking at the launch of Malaysians for Teoh Beng Hock, an online support group. However she refused to say if it was true the new documents involved a suicide note.
Lee Lan also appealed to Prime Minister Najib Razak to allow the truth to surface.
“We are disappointed with the MACC’s delay tactics during the inquest and the way they have smeared my brother’s and our family’s good name,” said Lee Lan.
“If the Prime Minister is too busy to remember his promise to our family, then we will follow him wherever he goes and remind him. My brother cannot die from torture just like that.”
Showdown with Pornthip on Aug 18
Earlier, lawyers for Teoh’s family stirred up a wave of curiosity when they revealed that the AG wanted to spring a surprise but refused to give any hints as to what this could be.
“Sorry, I cannot tell you. No way we can reveal at this stage because they have not been produced in court yet,” Gobind Singh Deo told Malaysia Chronicle.
“But what I can say is that these documents are very significant and they can affect the trial and that is why we are furious that the government has chosen to hide them from us until this very late stage. They are ambushing us.”
Nevertheless, given that Thai pathologist Pornthip Rojanasunand is due to arrive in Kuala Lumpur to testify on August 18, there was also talk that the new evidence was aimed at countering her testimony.
The 30-year Teoh, a Selangor political officer, was found dead outside the MACC headquarters after overnight interrogation on July 16, 2009. The condition of his body was clean, fueling talk that he may have been killed before his body was placed at the spot it was found.
Government pathologists say he died from injuries due to a fall from a great height, but Pornthip, who is the expert witness for his family, says there is an 80 percent chance of homicide.
Indeed, both Teoh’s family and colleague are adamant he could not have committed suicide as the MACC has claimed. He was due to register his marriage with his fiancée on July 16, 2009, itself and they were looking forward to the birth of their child.
Meanwhile, Gobind also told reporters that the new evidence became available last October. At this stage, it is also unclear if the new documents were ‘authentic’ or forged. The inquest will resume on August 18.
“They had it even before a second post mortem was carried out on Teoh’s body but they never told us,” said Gobind.